Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Question Answered

So many of you have been asking about the branches in the vase that was featured on The Nate Berkus Show that I thought I'd do a post about them too.


The branches are from a shrub called Harry Lauder's Walking stick.  It's actually selected as a planting for its gnarled branches, not its foliage.  Here's what it looks like.  It's homely and interesting at the same time.

  It's super easy to copy this idea, even if you don't have a Harry Lauder bush.  Any twisty branches will work.  I filled the bottom of the jar with sand.  I then added shells a little past the halfway mark; then placed the branches and filled up to the top of the jar with shells to support the branches.
Initially, I created this as a display for the store.  I was selling Christmas ornaments made from shells covered in glitter.  The jar filled with shells and sand and the gnarled branches were my "shell Christmas tree."  Only after the holidays as I was packing up did I think about using it in the sun room.  If you look at the pictures of that room you'll see that the vintage classroom shell reference map and the coral prints in mirrored frames on the window inspired the room decor.



I placed the vase and branches on the mirrored table and decided to paint the branches Chinese Red too. 
I think the color really makes them pop.  
Give it a try.  It's easy and dramatic.
  Let me know how yours turns out.

Kathy



1 comment:

  1. Love Harry Lauder! My sister, Robin, whom you met, has two in her garden.

    ReplyDelete