Monday, September 5, 2011

A Vintage Corner Cabinet in My Laundry / Pantry

Off the kitchen is our laundry/pantry, and beyond that, a powder room.  I wasn't blogging when we re-did that room so I don't have a before.  I'll try to describe it though.  The walls were wallpapered in orange floral vinyl , the floor was covered in red indoor/outdoor carpeting, and a huge utility sink was hanging on the wall between the washer and dryer.  It was bad.  I always kept the door closed whenever we had guests.

Here's what it looked like in its first change up. 

We completely gutted the room and removed the wallpaper and the carpeting.  We painted the walls and trim and added a tile floor.  The counter is made from pieced wood and the drawers are actually file cabinets.  The chandelier is vintage.  I was able to find some smokey black crystals for it.  We also added a prep sink.  The closed door is the powder room.  I'm so glad that the builder didn't use the rough cedar for trim in here.  The trim looks so much better painted white.


This corner cabinet with the palladian door is actually vintage.  This type of china was usually built into a dining room in an older home and had only the front, no back.  I wanted the long counter to fold laundry  so I cut the corner cabinet in half rather than have it go all the way to the floor.  The top is on the counter and the bottom half is under the sink.  I keep all my cleaning supplies inside the bottom half.   I painted the cabinet black and added some stained rope molding on the cabinet top and base to tie in with the new cabinets and counter.  I also had to add some additional molding on the top of the cabinet.


We purchased an under-the-counter washer and dryer.  I made a pair of curtains to hide them.  Rather than use a spring rod,  I purchased swing arm curtain rods.  The curtains actually swing out and away from the washer and dryer.  It's very easy to access them, and when they're closed my laundry is hidden.




On the opposite wall I have a long low cabinet which I use as a pantry.  In the corner is a stainless steel restaurant pot rack which I use for vertical storage of dishes.  Above the cabinet are over-sized architectural prints.

 I recently updated the furniture and fabrics in the kitchen.  To see that post, go here.

Since this laundry/pantry is directly off the kitchen, I decided to update this area too.  I'll be posting the change up soon.  Keep an eye out for it.

Change up is here!!!!!  Click on highlighted words to see the laundry/pantry update.

ENJOYED THIS POST? 
 Sign up to receive a notification every time I publish by clicking here.

4 comments:

  1. What a phenomenal space! Great way to hide the washer and dryer. I adore the rack that you have your dinnerware on. Such a great use of that room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The swing out curtain rods are genius. I wouldn't even know this is a laundry room if you didn't tell me!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the whole area, but I LOVE the plate stand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your corner cabinet looks great! I love it!


    pantry cabinet

    ReplyDelete