Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Reds and Yellows in My Fall Garden

This summer we had to remove a large Bradford Pear that shaded our front yard for many years.  I've been working on my new full sun garden and I still need to do some tweaking, but it's coming along.   All summer I have yellows and blues accenting the green in the landscaping.  In the fall though the garden is transformed when many of my green shrubs decide to change to their new red wardrobe.  Here's a peek into my evolving landscaping.


I re-used  as many of my original plants as I could.   My big purchase was a large Dragon's Eye Pine that is the focal point in the garden.  Its needles are yellow all year long.  I added a low curved wall and tucked a dry bed with bluestone into its curve for my lady statuary.   

New Landscaping

This is a better look at my Dragon's Eye Pine

My New View From the Front Porch

My Fire Power Nandia changed from green to red once the weather cooled.  I use the Nandia in the summer for bouquets and in the winter I tuck it into my holiday wreaths for a pop of color.

Fire Power Nandina and Festuca on My Garden Wall

I love the contrast of the yellow and red.

Red and Yellow Color Combo

Another View of the Low Wall

Bluestone Dry Bed

My Japanese Maple has always been part of the landscaping.  I was worried that it wouldn't adjust to the change from shade to full sun, but it survived and became a deeper red.  It will eventually lose all it's leaves and be a gnarled mound of branches in the winter.  I added a slate walkway between the wall and the Japanese Maple.  It's my new shortcut from the back yard.

Japanese Maple and New Slate Path

The Pieris have grown along my driveway for many years.
 They have lovely white flowers in the spring and cascading red tendrils in the fall.

Pieris Along My Driveway

This is the bed where the pear tree used to be located.  It's on the opposite side of the sidewalk. 
 I added a small low wall.  My buddha is resting under another Nandina.  I've had the large pagoda for many years.  It just changed its location.  I'm not sure if I like it there or not.  


The landscaping is still a work in progress that will have to wait until spring.

If you'd like to see my front garden before the Bradford Pear was removed, go here.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful landscaping! It looks so relaxing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It's still a work in progress but I'm very happy with it so far.

      Delete